Milk from all types of nuts is a great substitute for animal milk. However, I don’t use it only as a substitute, but as a very delicious and healthy food that can be used for lots of great recipes for smoothies, sweets, raw chocolate and many more tasty stuff.
It is, however, most delicious and healthy when we prepare the milk at home. This way we can be sure it is not processed with any preparations, it has not gone through thermal processing, which would diminish it’s qualities a lot, there is no added sugar, conservatives or any other unwanted things.
Besides being incredibly delicious, it is also very healthy and can be prepared for no more than 10 minutes.
What do you need?
- A blender – if you do not have a blender at home, you can have a look at a few excellent options here. I’d recommend one that is at least 800 power watts and can hold at least 2l (0.5 gallons) of liquid. The blender can be used for many other interesting and healthy recipes and is one of the most used kitchen appliances at home. 🙂
- A nut milk bag – for filtering the milk. It is not mandatory, as you can also use a lint or cotton fabric, but with a nut milk bag it is much easier and comfortable to filter the milk. Here you can order such a bag for only around $10 (and they are reusable).
Here are the steps:
- Soak 200 gr. (about 8 oz) of almonds in water for at least 8 hours. You can leave them for up to 14 hours. For example you can soak them in the evening and then prepare the milk the next morning, or soak them in the morning and prepare the milk in the evening. If it turns out that you have no time to prepare the milk as planned, you can just leave the soaked nuts in the fridge for up to 12 hours more and prepare the milk later.
- Wash the soaked almonds well, so that all preparations that they have been treated with, as well as the inhibitors can be removed.
- Put the washed almonds in the blender.
- Add 3-4 cups of water, depending on how thick you’d like the milk to be. With less water it would be thicker. The less water you add, the closer it would be to cream. With 200 gr. (about 8 oz) of almonds, you can easily get 1l (1/4 gallon) of milk.
- Blend the nuts with the water for 2-3 minutes.
- Filter the liquid through the special nuts milk bag or through a lint or cotton fabric. Squeeze it well.
- Keep the remainder, as it can be used for lots of other delicious recipes. See a recipe for vegan pesto here.
That’s it! Now you have a bottle of almond milk and you can either drink it refrigerated, add it to your coffee or cocoa drink, or you can prepare a tasty fruit smoothie. Check a universal recipe for all types of fruit smoothies here.